The oceans hold about 96.5% of all of Earth’s water and is one of the most amazing places on earth! Bursting with wildlife and teeming with mysteries to be solved, we’ve still only explored a tiny fraction. Take a deep breath, gang, as we dive into our ocean facts!
Top ten ocean facts
- Around 70% of the Earth’s surface is covered by oceans.
- The largest ocean on Earth is the the Pacific Ocean, covering around 30% of the Earth’s surface.
- The name “Pacific Ocean” comes from the Latin name Tepre Pacificum, “peaceful sea”.
- The deepest known area of the Earth’s oceans is known as the Mariana Trench. It’s deepest point measures 11km. That’s a long dive down!
- The world’s oceans are home to incredible creatures that are masters of disguise! Take a look for yourself
- The longest mountain range in the world is found under water. Stretching over 56,000km, the Mid-Oceanic Ridge is a mountain chain that runs along the centre of the ocean basins.
- About 70% of the oxygen we breathe is produced by the oceans.
- The sea is home to the world’s largest living structure – the Great Barrier Reef. Measuring around 2,600km, it can even be seen from the Moon!
- We have only explored about 5% of the world’s oceans. There’s a lot more to be discovered!
- The sea can be described as the planet’s mega museum. There are more artefacts and remnants of history in the ocean than in all of the world’s museums combined!
Lobsters - Noble Knights of the Ocean
Our Partner’s Templates
TZ Portfolio is working perfectly with JoomTd templates.
Buy our bundle and get 20% OFF from their template.